Brace Yourself Games
Based in Vancouver, Canada
Full Steam Launch, April 23, 2015
Crypt of the NecroDancer is a hardcore rhythm-based roguelike game. Can you survive this deadly dungeon of dance, slay the NecroDancer, and recapture your still beating heart? Or will you be a slave to the rhythm for all eternity? Players must move on the beat to navigate procedurally generated dungeons while battling dancing skeletons, zombies, dragons, and more! Groove with the game's epic dance soundtrack, or select songs from your own MP3 collection. You can even play with a dance pad to really shake your bones!
Selected for more than a dozen festivals and award shows across 4 continents, and currently the 3rd highest user rated Steam game of all time, Crypt of the NecroDancer is one of the world's most loved independent games. It was the #1 selling game on Steam at its Early Access launch.Origin
Crypt of the NecroDancer was born of the desire to make a roguelike game "fair". As a roguelike gamers, we have seen our share of deaths! But the most frustrating deaths are those from which we learn nothing, or had no chance to avoid. Some roguelikes, like Nethack, boast fairly high win rates for elite players. This is good -- it indicates that, while there is randomness, there are ways to tame that randomness and overcome it. However, to become such an elite Nethack player requires dedicated study of it's lore, an excellent memory, and patience. We wanted to create a game that is fair (a high win rate among elite players), yet without the onerous knowledge requirements. Crypt of the NecroDancer is our attempt at achieving this goal. It is turn based, but the turns are of an enforced length. Lack of time to think renders impossible the careful study and patience of the expert NetHack player. Instead, skill and experience in battle rule the day. No more random deaths -- there is always a way out, for the skilled NecroDancer player!
- Roguelike rhythm game -- the player and enemies all move on the beat!
- Award winning dance soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky
- A beat detection algorithm allows players to use their own MP3s and music files
- Move with the keyboard, gamepad, or even a dance pad if you have one!
- Two playable remixes of the entire soundtrack! A metal remix by FamilyJules7X and an EDM remix by A_Rival.
- Story cinematics featuring VO talent from League of Legends, the Dragon Ball Z TV series, and many more!
Launch Trailer YouTube
Early Access Launch Trailer YouTube
Cinematic Trailer YouTube
Older Teaser YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Multiple Honorable Mentions" Game Developers Choice Awards, Game Developer's Conference, 2015
- "Multiple Nominations" Independent Games Festival, Game Developer's Conference, 2014
- "Official Selection" IndieCade East, 2014
- "Winner, Best Audio" Brazil Independent Game Festival, 2014
- "Official Selection" Hamburg PLAY14 Festival, 2014
- "Selected for the Indie MEGABOOTH" PAX East, 2014
- "Official Selection" IndieCade West, 2013
- "Selected for the Indie Game Fest" Tokyo Game Show, 2013
- "Fantastic Arcade Showcase Selection" Fantastic Fest, 2013
- "Destructoid Editor's Choice" PAX Prime, 2013
- "Selected for the Indie MEGABOOTH" PAX Prime, 2013
- "Official Selection" Toronto Gamercamp Festival, 2013
- "Official Selection" Portland Stumpquest Game Fest, 2013
- "Editor's Choice"
- Hamza Aziz, Destructoid
- "A transformative experience"
- Bob Mackey, US Gamer
- "It's just so ingenious!"
- Adam Sessler, Interview on SourceFedNERD
- "I am enchanted"
- Stephen Totilo, Slate
- "I love this game so much!"
- Rythian, Yogscast
- "It's unlike anything I've played before and represents everything that I treasure about the indie games scene."
- David Hinkle, Joystiq
- "A whole lot of fun"
- Scott Thompson, IGN
- "So clever it makes me feel a bit sick when I think about it!"
- Quintin Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "an ingenious idea" "it’s a lot of fun"
- Steve Tilley, Electric Playground
- "Crypt of the Necrodancer is good. Actually, it's beyond good" "such a novel and genius idea"
- John Lindvay, BigSushi.FM
- "You have to see it to believe it"
- Daniel Tack, Forbes
- "When the music and the combat connect, there is no better experience in the world."
- Jared Rosen, Indie Statik
- "A roguelike that’s a rhythm game? Jesus Christ, FINALLY!"
- Ben Kuchera, The PA Report
- "Good lord Crypt of the Necrodancer is fun."
- Ryan Letourneau, Northernlion
- "A huge hit at PAX." "I'm sold on not only the idea, but also the execution."
- Darren Nakamura, Destructoid
- "Crypt of the Necrodancer absolutely killed it" "Cosplayers, exhibitors, media, everyone wanted a piece. Especially me."
- Jared Rosen, Indie Statik
- "Crypt of the Necrodancer is called Crypt of the Necrodancer, which already makes it incontrovertibly the greatest game of all time."
- RPS Staff, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Crypt of the Necrodancer looks like it’s going to be freaking awesome."
- Evan Narcisse, Kotaku
- "Crypt of the Necrodancer stole my heart." "spectacular"
- Nick Tan, Game Revolution
- "There are no words for how badly I want to play"
- Dora Breckinridge, Jay is Games
Full Resolution "Behind the Scenes" Mini-Documentary
Here's a full resolution version of our "Behind the Scenes" mini-documentary! (Right click it and "Save As".) necrodancer.com.
Full Resolution Launch Trailer
Here's a full resolution, uncompressed version of our launch trailer. (Right click it and "Save As".) necrodancer.com.
Full Resolution Early Access Trailer
Here's a full resolution, uncompressed version of our Early Access launch trailer. (Right click it and "Save As".) necrodancer.com.
Here's some b-roll footage, if you need it for your videos. (Right click it and "Save As".) necrodancer.com.
Here are a bunch of miscellaneous art assets, if your article needs some sprucing up!: necrodancer.com.
About Brace Yourself Games
Brace Yourself Games is small studio in Vancouver, Canada, founded by indie veteran Ryan Clark.
More information on Brace Yourself Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Crypt of the NecroDancer Credits
Pixel art and animation
Kevin Regamey, Jeff Tangsoc (PowerUp Audio)
High res art
Trailers and cutscenes
Producer and Community Manager